This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
A plumb line is a weight that is suspended by a string. This is similar to a water level that helps someone doing construction determine if a board is perfectly level. These are standards by which we can measure something. It is an objective look at something. I can use a plumb line or a level to see if some particular object meets a particular standard. This is particularly important when constructing a building. If you don’t know if something is a water level you run the risk of an inferior construction.
The Word of God is our plumb line. Amos 7:8 says “The Lord said to me ‘What do you see, Amos?” And I said, “A plumb line.” Then the Lord said, “Behold I am about to put a plumb line in the midst of My people Israel. I will spare them no longer.
This plumb line of the Word of God is a gift that we can build healthy, whole lives upon.
With so many challenges to our families and children, it is good to know there are some things that can be leaned upon as a standard. Certain things don’t change and that helps us to know how to conduct ourselves. When the boundaries are fluid and subject to change, we don’t have a sense of stability. Boarders, boundaries and fences are put in place to keep dangerous things out and keep that which is within those boundaries safe.
Stability provides security and it allows us to explore new things knowing that there are some things that do not need exploration. Those are the things that have grave consequences and could cause harm. A former of pastor of mine said that experience is not always the best teacher. That statement has stayed with me and allowed me to know that I do not want to experience certain things. I can look to the experience of others that have made those mistakes before me or I can look to the Bible to gain instruction.
Money and Wealth
- Psalm 112:3 Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth forever Click To Tweet.
- Proverbs 13:11 Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.
- Proverbs 13:22 A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children’s children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.
It may take work to increase wealth but it can be had. It is not only money that we are talking about here. Families that are strong and connected have immeasurable wealth.
- Ephesians 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Wives,submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.
Yep, this passage requires a lot more comment than what I am going to offer here. There will be more. Keep your eyes out. Let me just point out here that there is sacrifice on both parts in the marriage covenant Click To Tweet and the husband has a great responsibility to his wife. This passage connects that the love that a man is to show his wife is like the love that Jesus showed the church. That love sent him to the cross. Much to think about when entering to the covenant of marriage.
- Gen 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
The creator of the Universe, God, took note of Abraham’s character and saw that Abraham was going to teach his children about the one true and living God. The Lord treasured this and entered into a covenant that impacts the entire world even to this day. Fathers and mothers have a heavy responsibility to the children in their household. This is where the young ones will learn of the Lord. We must be about our Father’s business when it comes to our children.
Wisdom and Education
- Psalm 111:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: Click To Tweet a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth forever.
- Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Business and Partnerships
- Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed? Pay attention to who you are entering into business partnerships with. If there are some ethical issues that are negative, this will impact your reputation and success.
Friendships and Associations
- Proverbs 22:24 Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Have you ever noticed that when someone gets really angry they stop listening to the other person.
- James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. The ways of the world are often in direct opposition to the ways of God.
- Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
- Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace,whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
- Galations 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
There are many more than just 8 reasons and I am sure you could add scripture references to the ones listed here. Leave a comment and let me know how the Bible has been relevant in your life. I am plan on updating the list with your thoughts. This may serve as an encouragement to those that feel that the Bible is outdated and irrelevant. Help me share the Good News!
Be sure to join my newsletter for more engaging conversations.